Kikuletwa Renewable Energy Training and Research Centre is a new campus of Arusha Technical College (ATC) which is located in Ha District Kilimanjaro. The KRETC through ATC was selected as a Regional Flagship TVET institution with aim of increasing access and improve quality of training trough East Africa Skills for Transformation and Regional Integration Project (EASTRIP) funded by the World Bank and the Tanzanian government.
EASTRIP project supports the development of highly specialized TVET programs at diploma and degree levels for the training of technicians and TVET faculty, as well as industry recognized short-term training, targeting regional priority sectors in transport, energy, manufacturing, and ICT. The KRETC aims to become Centre of Excellence for Renewable Energy.
Diploma in Electrical and Solar PV Systems Engineering
The objective of this programme is to develop skilled technicians in the field of Renewable Energy with specialization in Electrical and Solar PV Systems Engineering. The course provides strong practical training in electrical engineering, solar photovoltaic systems engineering and necessary skills to enable a graduate to be employed or create self-employment opportunity.
Diploma in Electrical and Solar PV Systems Engineering is a three year course, with an option for a student to exist in each level. The course will provide a graduate with the knowledge and practical skills necessary to conduct routine installation and maintenance of electrical and solar PV systems including a detailed understanding of individual components needed in a solar energy system.
- A certificate of Secondary Education with a minimum pass grade of D in Mathematics, Physics / Engineering science, Chemistry, and English or
- A candidate with a National Vocational Award (NVA) level III in electrical offered by VETA accompanied by a secondary education certificate and in addition has attended a pre-technology course offered by a recognized institution.
A graduate in this programme has the opportunity to work in renewable energy industries in the field of solar energy in East African counties and can continue to acquire higher-level learning in renewable energy.
Short Professional Courses
- Hydropower plant operations and Maintenance
- Electrical Power Transmission and distributions
- Energy efficiency and Auditing
- Biodigesters construction
- Solar PV systems installation
- PLC for Hydropower Engineers
- Refrigeration systems maintenance